NJ-GMIS is member-driven. Given the number and types of government agencies and the state’s geography, NJ-GMIS develops, grows, and is driven by cross-fertilization, facilitating and supporting the interests of its membership.
Structurally, the group maintains organizational sections (state, county, municipal, and public school), and special interest groups (i.e., GIS, network security, e-mail management), and holds membership meetings by region without regard to type of agency.
Since NJ-GMIS is a technology organization, we use technology to foster communication with and among members. A ListServ, websites, newsletters, chat rooms, and periodic in-person meetings, are all used for member communication: The goal of the association: With communication comes knowledge, and opportunities for sharing, cost savings, and efficiency.
Any municipality, board of education, county or state government agency can join. Each organization names one contact person to represent it for organizational support purposes. Any employee of the agency may attend NJ-GMIS educational activities and meetings.
To join NJ-GMIS, your agency joins GMIS International. This structure provides members with the resources of an international network of technology leaders and all the services of the full organization, as well as connecting to your in-state peers. By joining GMIS International, you automatically become a member of the New Jersey Chapter.
GMIS International provides:
- GEM – Published six times a year, the GEM has problem-solving articles, technical articles, member spotlights and other valuable information.
- GMIS International website (www.gmis.org)
- GMIS Annual Conference – educational sessions, exhibits, and networking at a discounted member rate
- GMIS Members are invited to join the Listserv operated exclusively for our members. Ask questions and find out state of the art answers from others. The Listserv includes powerful archives which allows the searching of past discussions for data mining the minds of GMIS members. For more information see Listserv and Archive Information.
- Knowledge Center – Sample RFP’s for systems, networks, software, and services
- Educational Opportunities- In conjunction with the University of North Carolina and Rutgers University GMIS International sponsors the Certified Government CIO Program. In addition to this various technical and managerial trainings are offered via our international conference.
- Scholarship program through the NJ -GMIS TEC Foundation
- AWARDS Program – annual awards program for IT leaders
- VALUE – in a recent survey, 96% of GMIS members felt they received a good value for their membership